Stuck on the Platform
Reclaiming the Internet
- A plea to reclaim the internet from addictive platform capitalism, from the author of Sad by Design
- For everyone who wants to scrutinize their own use of the internet and online platforms
- From Zoom fatigue, to the NFT hype, to online cancel culture and more
Author: Geert Lovink
Design: Irene Stracuzzi
April 2022, Valiz | Pb | 240 pp. | 24 x 14,5 cm (h x w) | English | ISBN 978-94-93246-08-9 | € 25,00
Geert Lovink is a Dutch media theorist, internet critic and author of Uncanny Networks (2002), Dark Fiber (2002), My First Recession (2003), Zero Comments (2007), Networks Without a Cause (2012), Social Media Abyss (2016), Organisation after Social Media (with Ned Rossiter, 2018) and Sad by Design (2019).
In 2004 he founded the Institute of Network Cultures at the Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences (HvA). His center organizes conferences, publications and research networks such as Video Vortex (online video), The Future of Art Criticism and MoneyLab (internet-based revenue models in the arts). Recent projects deal with digital publishing experiments, critical meme research, participatory hybrid events and precarity in the creative sector. In December, 2021 he was appointed Professor of Art and Network Cultures at the Art History Department, Faculty of Humanities of the University of Amsterdam for one day a week.
- Find here the Italian Edition Le paludi della piattaforma, Nero Editions (2022)
- Find here the German Edition In der Plattformfalle, transcript Verlag (2 August 2022)
- Click here to listen to the interview with Geert Lovink about his book by Rueben Niewenhuis on New Books Network (13 October 2022)
- (Only in Dutch) Click here to read the interview 'Internetpionier Geert Lovink: “Een gereguleerd socialemediaplatform zou algemeen beschikbaar moeten – zijn net als drinkwater"' by Jeroen Junte on designdigger.nl (5 October 2022)- ---
- (Only in Dutch) Click here to read the review of Stuck on the Platform in Gonzo (circus) (Sep-Oct 2022)
- (Only in Dutch) Click here to read the interview with Geert Lovink about Stuck on the Platform by Laurens Verhagen in de Volkskrant (19 August 2022)
- Stuck on the Platform featured in Amsterdam Alternative's Tip Top 5 (July/August 2022)
We’re all trapped. No matter how hard you try to delete apps from your phone, the power of seduction draws you back. Doom scrolling is the new normal of a 24/7 online life. What happens when your home office starts to feel like a call center and you’re too fried to log out of Facebook? We’re addicted to large-scale platforms, unable to return to the frivolous age of decentralized networks. How do we make sense of the rising disaffection with the platform condition? Zoom fatigue, cancel culture, crypto art, NFTs and psychic regression comprise core elements of a general theory of platform culture. Geert Lovink argues that we reclaim the internet on our own terms. Stuck on the Platform is a relapse-resistant story about the rise of platform alternatives, built on a deep understanding of the digital slump.
Explore the digital sources mentioned in the footnotes of the book